Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Denise Chong- The Girl in the Picture

I read this book while I was in Vietnam, and I found it to be very helpful. it was not well written but knowing the story of Kim Phuc's life from a personal perspective was wonderful (I've known the basic details for as long as I can remember, as I met her once many years ago). I later went to the War Crimes Museum (which I beleive used to be called the "Chinese and American War Crimes Museum" or something like that, and I saw a recent photograph of Kim Phuc holding her little baby, at it was so wonderful (Ironically, she has been living in my home country, Canada, for almost as long as I've been alive, I believe). I was so glad to learn this while I was over there, because it gave me the perspective that I could never gain just from guidebooks and tours. It was so great to have something so iconic as a symbol of horror and shame (being ashamed of being part of a society complicit in that terrible horror) end with something powerfully beautiful and alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment