Thursday, November 22, 2007

Maria Campbell- Half-Breed

I liked this book a lot. It was profoundly sad, but nothing particularly unexpected. I did learn more about hybridity, though, especially within Canada's history. It's something that doesn't get talked about a lot, and it was great to hear it from a personal perspective that seemed relatively (and consciously) unbiased as much as possible. I didn't know much about the details of many of these things, like the Road Allowance People and their particular struggle.
I was a little confused, though, about the fact that on the cover, Maria Campbell appears to be white. All the references to her being discriminated against for her "dark" skin didn't really seem to make sense to me- so I just assume her skin used to be darker.
I realize that this is not just in the past- there is so much that needs to be done to improve things as they are currently, and to help things progress well in the future. I wish there were more people out there willing and able to write books like this to teach people about these issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment