Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Michael Dibdin- The Last Sherlock Holmes Story

I haven't read this for several years, but I recall my horror with vivid clarity.
I was completely disgusted by this book- primarily because the author has taken an iconic character (for whom I do not have particular fondness, in fact) and warped his memory for his own purposes.
I might not mind so much if I felt that it was very well written- and perhaps it is an attempt to reproduce the original stories' style. I have not read enough Holmes stories to determine this- but I feel that overall, it was unimpressive, full of gaping flaws and contradictions, the ending was weak and somewhat poorly constructed and essentially irritated more than impressed me.
I think that people should stick to inventing their own characters unless they have something phenomenal to add, and even then, it should be done phenomenally well or not at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment