Friday, March 28, 2008

Margaret Laurence - The Stone Angel

I had read this book before, but I didn't appreciate it properly the first time.
I found it to be beautiful- although not as moving as The Fire-Dwellers- and really enjoyable.
I particularly loved the subtlety of metaphor and meaning. I had a number of favorite passages, such as the following:
"his monument stood, more dear to him, I believe, than the brood mare who lay beneath because she'd proved no match for his stud" (Laurence 43). [It is referring, of course, to the marble angel over her mother's grave.] I found this to be amazing, especially considering the fact that it is simply thrown in with the rest of the ideas and is hardly touched on again.
Parenting is a profound element of this work, and I'm writing an essay for English 240 comparing it to Death of a Salesman (of course I am also comparing it to pride/individuality from a sociological standpoint).
There is also a lot of humour, which makes sense considering Laurence's strength in that capacity.
"He leans over and looks me straight in the eye. 'I lost my faither,' he says confidingly. 'I kind of mislaid it and when I went to look for it, it wasn't there.'" (Laurence 229).

No comments:

Post a Comment